Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Food days...

Who knew two words could have so much power? As a student in a Spanish class, my two favorite words to hear were always food day! We would pick a food, make or buy it, and then bring it to school to share with the class.  It was the best thing EVER!!!

Well, now that I am the teacher, I have a love/hate relationship with the day.  I never knew how much of a pain it could be!  Here are a few things I did not even think about as a student on food days:

1) Where is the food going to be stored until our class period gets to eat?
2) How is all of this food that needs to be refrigerated going to fit in the refrigerator?
3) How are we going to heat up all this food?
4) Where is all of the trash going to go?
5) What if people forget to pick up their dishes after school? (This is probably the worst!!)
6) When does the classroom begin to smell normal again?

After many trials, I have actually gotten pretty good at the whole food day as a teacher! Each time we have one it gets better and better.  I have found a way to almost tame the craziness of the day.  It's not perfect, but pretty darn good! I have also learned to just sit and enjoy the yummy food my students have brought to share.

Even if it isn't my favorite day, I know my students love it and work hard to keep it! And, if I can combine eating food with learning then why not!

Lots of love, a teacher and her pup ❤️


4 comments:

  1. Oh, the things we do for our students! Even if it isn't our favorite activity, how often do teachers sacrifice so that our students have fun and/or have what they need to learn. My issues with food day is trying to hold on to my self-control so I don't gain a hundred pounds. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the things we do for our students! Even if it isn't our favorite activity, how often do teachers sacrifice so that our students have fun and/or have what they need to learn. My issues with food day is trying to hold on to my self-control so I don't gain a hundred pounds. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a great teacher by connecting with your students by carrying on this tradition that you loved. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahahaha! I was thinking about the classroom smell after school. I walked in and thought, "do I really want to have a food day?" The kids seemed to go all out though. Glad you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete