Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Creative minds...

Do you ever have one of those days where nothing sounds quite right so you end up doing something completely different??? Well, today was my day!

Today, we were supposed to play our normal game of trashketball to review for our vocabulary quiz.  After looking over the quiz, I decided I didn't want my kids to have to suffer through that! Just looking at it made me miserable....so I decided to scratch that idea.

Instead, I had students draw and lable pictures to help review for a quiz I, later, made.  They were ecstatic! Who knew "big kids" could be so excited about drawing and coloring.  There were a few who immediately started to complain that they couldn't draw or had no artistic ability whatsoever. I told them to "be creative" and it would work.

Creative they were!! I feel like when kids get to be creative these walls that they have up around them get to come down for a second and you get to really know them! They also don't worry about being too "weird" around their friends because they are all having fun! This is just what I needed as a pick-me-up in the middle of the week before spring break.

I sometimes get caught up in trying to teach everything that I don't let my students teach me a thing or two.  Today my students taught, kind of reminded, me that inside every grown up or older kid there is a child whose imagination is just waiting to burst out when given the opportunity!

Lots of love, a teacher and her pup ❤️

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of trashketball! Sounds like an interesting way to review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I ask students questions from the quiz or test. If they get it right they get to shoot from the 2, 3, or 4 point line. The catch is, they have to get the question right in order to shoot! If they get it wrong, they don't get to shoot. It gets pretty competitive!

      Delete
  2. I often use a 60 second sketch as a review with science vocabulary. Many students do well with the visual reminder of what the word brings to mind. You probably helped them quite a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this line: "I sometimes get caught up in trying to teach everything that I don't let my students teach me a thing or two." I think most of us do this. It's easy to get caught on the curriculum train or to worry about things beyond our control that we lose sight of the students sitting in front of us, the whole reason we are teachers to begin with!

    ReplyDelete